SomAffect’s Prof. Francis McGlone will be a keynote speaker at one day conference on touch hosted by the BPS:DECP in London on Friday 10th February 2017
Touch: trust, timidity and taboo in professional care for children and young people, who have been rejected, neglected and abused
Date: Friday 10th February 2017
Times: 09-30 to 16-30 (Registration 9.00-9.30)
Venue: BPS London Office, 30 Tabernacle Street, London. EC2A 4UE
Conference costs: £50 including lunch and refreshments
Speakers: Prof. Francis McGlone, Prof. Heather Piper, Dr Laura Steckley, Dr Tony Mancini, and Dr Sean Cameron
Objectives for the day:
- To consider the latest research on ‘affective touch’ and its place in professional child care.
- To clarify the issues around recommended practice guidelines and/or current perceptions on the employment of touch in schools, children’s homes and foster/ adoptive family homes.
- To discuss safeguarding issues for both young people and their carers.
- To decide whether the ‘touch taboo’ issue is one on which the BPS and the DECP should take a more robust and positive stance.
- To draft a series of principles and guidelines concerning touch in childcare and educational contexts.
DECP Feb 10th 2017 programme (docx)